The Art of Eating Dessert First

8:07 PM

Within the last year, I've kind of hit a road block in my happiness. (weird wording but you get the picture) My anxiety and depression has greatly increased since coming to college and I have been feeling less confident in myself and rather bored with the life I'm living. Now, I can already see a few of you guys putting on your snorkels, getting ready for something really deep but I promise you, this isn’t going to be a super serious or weighty post about me miraculously overcoming a mental illness. It’s simply about dessert, amongst many things, but mostly dessert.

I think my biggest issue is that I had so many big plans for the future, and though those dreams may actually come true someday, it just seemed like my current circumstances were getting me nowhere. I was always thinking “Once I make it to college, I’ll be happy.” , “As soon as I start traveling, I’ll be happy.” I was placing too much of my happiness in my future rather than the present.

I recently decided to take my happiness into my own hands. Rather than focusing on the past or the future, I am, from now on, going to focus more on the present. I'm only starting with baby steps, but one day hope to increase my strides. I am currently working on step one, enjoying the little things in life.Though I may not always notice it, I have been given so many opportunities and abilities that others are never even given the chance at, therefore, I have decided to place more value on the small pleasures of life.


I have begun to explore my city more, call my family and let them know how much I appreciate their care for me, and started eating dessert first. I know that among them all, the last seems to be a bit out of place, but trust me, it's equally important. I have always had a MASSIVE sweet tooth and always considered dessert to be the best part of any meal. (unless there are fries or pizza involved, but that’s beside the point) So I’ve decided to start eating my dessert first. The way I see it, if this world were to end in the middle of my meal, I’d much rather my last bit of food be a scoop of ice cream than a a spoonful of broccoli. 

It may seem a bit trivial and childish to describe dessert as a large source of my happiness, but it is only one among many, I promise. Most of us overlook the value of happiness and tend to forget its importance in our lives until it is one day robbed from us. (I’ll admit that line was deeper than I would’ve liked it to be) So, I would encourage you guys to find a small pleasure that brings joy to your life, whether that be beachballs, clown noses, cats, or desserts, and maximize it as much as possible.

What little things brings you joy? Comment down below. :)

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Good for you! I'm glad you're taking care of yourself! And I love that you have dessert first! Life is too short for anything else!

    Shannon Sage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! That really means a lot!! :)

      Delete
  2. Ice cream, christmas and blogs brig me joy. This post was a delight to red Dessert should always be first1!!

    http://anythingandeverything.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I loved the title of this! Great post :)

    MadeFromBeauty.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post, it's so important to enjoy the little thing. Now for some ice cream!

    ISA Professional

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I thought I was the only one. I've recently got out of college (we go to college early in my country), and now everything that I dreamt of when I was still in college *should* be coming true now. But it's not. I was looking so far into the destination that I forgot to pave the road first! So yes, baby steps first and live in the present. :)

    Hoping for the best for you!

    frostandserve.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete